16th EASA Biennial Conference
New anthropological horizons in and beyond Europe
21-24 July 2020 in Lisbon
ISCTE-University Institute of Lisbon and ICS-Institute of Social Sciences, University of Lisbon
The Call for Films is now closed
EASA2020 Lisboa – Films
The European Association of Social Anthropology invited ethnographic film submissions to be screened during its 16th Biennial Conference, which will be held in Lisbon, Portugal, from the 21st to the 24th of July 2020. The theme of the Conference is "New anthropological horizons in and beyond Europe”. This wide-open theme aims to encourage attention to new objects, new ways of thinking, and new and hybrid forms of audio-visual representation.
'Pedra e cal' (A Room in the House), film by Catarina Alves Costa
- 1 November 2019 to 31 January 2020: period for submission of films
- 13 March: annoucement of film selection
- 15 April 2020 to 1 June 2020: period for sending digital screening copies
Second phase – only for selected films (15 April - 01 June 2020)
File upload (via Dropbox, WeSendit, WeTransfer, MyAirBridge or equivalent) of version in digital format suitable for public screening in high resolution.
Along with the screening copy file, the authors and/or producers of the selected films should also send:
- 2 still film frames;
- Technical data;
- Trailer of the film for the conference website;
- Joint statement with:
- Authorization for the screening of the film at the 16th Conference of EASA, within the Ethnographic Film Programme (a template provided by the secretariat);
- Authorization for the use of promotional images by EASA in posters, on the congress website or in any other dissemination materials;
- Confirmation of presence of the authors in the screening sessions;
- Authorization for the screening of the film in extensions/itinerancies hosted by anthropology departments and research centres at Portuguese universities.
Film programme convenors
Amaya Sumpsi, anthropologist, CRIA/FCSH-NOVA
Catarina Alves Costa, anthropologist, FCSH-NOVA / CRIA
Humberto Martins, anthropologist, UTAD / CRIA-UM
Inês Ponte, anthropologist, ICS-ULisboa
Rodrigo Lacerda, anthropologist, CRIA NOVA FCSH/UC
Sofia Sampaio, researcher in cinema and anthropology, CRIA-IUL
- The secretariat of the EASA film programme will confirm the reception of each film submission. In the absence of confirmation, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The authors and/or producers of the selected films will be informed individually about the selection results. The selection will appear on the conference website by March 24, 2020.
- The authors and/or producers of the selected films must send the screening copy by June 1, 2020
- We firmly encourage the presence of filmmakers in the screening sessions. The purpose of this film screening is to provide a space for critical thinking and debate on ethnographic filmmaking.
This Call for Films is a collaborative effort of European Association of Social Anthropology (EASA), Associação Portuguesa de Antropologia (APA) and Centro em Rede de Investigação em Antropologia (CRIA).
Any queries with the above please email conference(at)easaonline.org.