Visa Information

17th EASA Biennial Conference
EASA2022: Transformation, Hope and the Commons
School of History, Anthropology, Philosophy and Politics at Queen’s University Belfast
26-29 July, 2022

Who needs a visa to enter Northern Ireland?

Belfast is part of the United Kingdom, so UK visa rules apply to enter for the purposes of the conference. The UK government website has a useful tool to check if you need a visa.

  • On this page, start with your nationality as shown on your passport
  • In ‘What are you coming to the UK to do?’ select Work, academic visit or business
  • In ‘How long are you planning to work in the UK for?’ select 6 months or less

EU nationals residing in the UK with “settled status” leave to remain do not need to apply for a visa, or provide documentation on the border at Belfast.

USA, EU, EEA, Swiss nationals, along with several commonwealth countries, do not need a visa to enter the UK. However, you may still be asked to provide some documentation at the border.

Electronic visa waiver to enter the UK

You can apply for a visa waiver if you are a national of Kuwait, Oman, Qatar or the United Arab Emirates. You must pay £30 for an EVW. You will need the following documents:

  • your current passport
  • an address in the UK where you will stay
  • details of your journey, including departure and arrival dates and times

You will need to apply online between 3 months and 48 hours prior to arrival in Belfast.

Which visa is best to apply for?

The Standard Visitor UK Visa is the most appropriate for the purposes of attending the conference.

Documents for Visa-Free Countries

On arrival, you may be asked to prove:

  • you’re eligible for the activities you want to do - we can provide you with a letter to help with this, please fill out this form if you need this.
  • you’ve arranged accommodation for your stay - hotel or hostel booking confirmations
  • you’ll leave at the end of your visit - flight tickets back
  • you’re able to support yourself and your dependents during your trip (or have funding from someone else to support you) - if you have received funding from EASA, you can show this, otherwise you will need to prove your financial means

This is essentially the same information that you would need for applying to a visa, but you will not need to make an application, rather you will be asked to present these documents at the border.

You will need to see a Border Force officer - do not use the automatic ePassport gates.

How to apply?

There is a list of steps you will need to complete in order to obtain your visa to enter for the duration of the conference. It is a good idea to do this in good time, to allow time for waiting times, and the possibility of delays as the conference is happening at the height of the tourist period, or complications caused by the Covid-19 pandemic and the war in Ukraine.

Documents for Visa Application

Travel Document

  • You must provide your current passport or other valid travel document with all applications and when travelling to the UK.
  • Some passport holders may need to provide alternative evidence of their identity and nationality.
  • Your passport must have at least 1 page blank if you use it to apply for a visa.


Two passport-size (35x45 mm) photographs in colour, against a white background, no older than six months. Additional requirements are listed here.

Letter of Invitation

We can provide you with a letter inviting you to the conference, outlining your role at the conference and, if applicable, any costs that were funded for you to attend. Please fill out this form, so we can prepare this for you.

It may be helpful to also obtain a letter from your home institution with similar details.

Flight details

In order to prove that you will leave the UK at the end of your visit.

Proof of Accommodation

Hotel or Hostel booking confirmations.

Proof of financial means

Bear in mind you do not have to provide all of the documents below, just those that apply to you.

  • You will need to provide details of any funding you have received from other sources (the funding received from EASA will be proven through the letter of invitation)
  • Documents of income status - a headed letter from your employer for example
  • Bank statements (within last 3 months)
  • Building society books (within last 3 months)

Proof of personal circumstances

  • A letter from your education provider if you are a student
  • Confirmation of legal residence if this is different to your nationality on your passport
  • Documents of employment status - a headed letter from your employer for example

If travelling with children

You will need to show a legal document showing your relationship with the child - such as birth certificate or adoption papers.

Any other supporting documentation

It may help to provide other supporting documentation, additional paperwork such as details of previous conferences attended, - titles of papers and dates, locations of conferences - details of any awards you have received, details of publications in your name.

Translating of documents

The UK has specific rules around official document translations. If you submit a document that is not in English or Welsh, it must be accompanied by a full translation that can be independently verified by the Home Office. Each translation must contain:

Where to apply

You can apply for a Standard Visitor visa online before you travel to the UK. You will then need to schedule an appointment at a visa application centre with all the relevant documentation and a copy of your application form.

When should you apply?

The earliest you can apply is three months before. We recommend you apply at least 30 days before you travel, allowing time for any delays caused by various factors, such as the tourist high season, the pandemic, the war in the Ukraine.

How much will it cost?

The standard visitor visa costs £95 (€113.09)

How long will it take?

You will typically have to wait up to three weeks to receive a decision on your application for a UK short-term visa

Are there any covid-related restrictions?

From 4am on Friday 18 March 2022, you do not need to take any COVID-19 tests or fill in a passenger locator form when travelling to the UK from abroad. These changes apply whether you are fully vaccinated or not. However, we advise to keep an eye on developments as things are always changing: stay up-to-date with UK's covid news.

Other Public Health requirements

You may need to take a Tuberculosis test within six months before travelling to the UK, if from this list of countries.

Transit Visas for people arriving at Dublin

People arriving at Dublin wanting to drive over, may well need a transit visa for the Republic of Ireland. The process is similar, with the following documents required:

Extensive Irish Government guidance is found here. Prepare this three months before travel. It consists of three steps:

In general, you can expect a decision for a transit visa about eight weeks after your documents are received. Similarly to UK visas, translated documents must be certified.

Useful links and further information